To receive alerts when your phone is in “Do Not Disturb” mode (ie. In the middle of the night) you have to set Nixle and CWS as Emergency Bypass contacts.
On an iPhone:
- The first time you receive a message from Nixle or CWS open the message.
- Click on the person icon at the top of the screen to open the contacts window.
- Go to the bottom of that window and click on “Create New Contact” and enter Nixle or CWS to your contacts.
- Press “Done”.
- From the newly created contact page press “Edit” and scroll down and press “Ringtone”.
- At the top of the ringtone page swipe the “Emergency Bypass” button to green.
- Press “Done”
- Ensure your smart phone is set to receive government alerts under the Notifications setting (this is the default setting)
On an Android device:
- Designate Nixle and CWS as favorite contacts by tapping the star within the contacts app.
- Go to Settings, Sound and Vibration
- Go to “Do Not Disturb”
- Allow Exceptions
- Custom to allow favorite contacts to bypass the Do Not Disturb block.